Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hair, There, Everywhere.

I love when I look back and realize that I've made the right decisions in my life.  Doing hair has taught me a lot about people, life and my artistic ability. I remember getting a cross-eyed look from more than one person when I decided not to go to college and to go to beauty school instead.  Thankfully, I  always follow my heart and once again it has taken me to the correct place.

The most rewarding thing about the my job in the beauty industry is having the opportunity to help a person feel good about themselves.  Everyone should feel beautiful and I love assisting that feeling whenever possible.  In 2005 I attended Vidal Sassoon Academy for a 6 - week haircutting course, which I refer to as "beauty college."  I picked up my things and lived in a hotel room in Santa Monica, Ca. by myself for almost two months.  I met so many amazing people at school, some in which i still keep in touch with.  I am so thankful for this experience because aside from the top notch education that I got from class everyday, I was able to do something completely on my own for the very first time.

If anyone is aspiring to be in the hair business Vidal Sassoon Academy is one of the best places to start or extend your journey.  I first attended a local cosmetology school, then started working in a salon and later went to Sassoon, there they taught me everything I needed to know about cutting hair.  I returned a few years after for a two week advanced coloring class which was also amazing, the school being in sunny California was a bonus!   I've attended many seminars on haircutting, coloring and thermal reconditioning throughout my almost ten year stand in the beauty industry.  Aside from Sassoon I've studied at Toni & Guy, Wella, Bumble & Bumble and Milbom USA etc. and I've learned something  from each one.

I love Hair extensions as they are my specialty.  The brands I regularly use are Hair Locs, Great Lengths and a few Tape-In methods.  A lot of clients assume that hair extensions are just for length. When they discover that on any style, extensions can be applied for volume, highlighting or to help get through the phase of growing out a short haircut, many are sold right away.

Many of the friendships closest to my heart began at the salon that I still currently work in.  Xoma is an upscale hair salon that houses much talent and many down to earth people.  We treat our clients like friends and from the moment one walks in, we strive to make sure they feel welcome.
I could never work in a stiff environment with a lot of rules, I prefer freedom with my wardrobe and my schedule.  Xoma stayed open through a full renovation so that clients could still have their hair done regularly and we've also worked through a time when half of the staff left us at once.  Our upgraded establishment is marvelous and we've filled the empty chairs.  A little bit of patience goes a long way.

Whether I'm coloring my grandma's hair, beautifying a client for a special night out or dolling up one of my best friends or family members for their wedding day,  I find hairdressing to be an especially gratifying career.  I've no doubt in my mind that I'll wear many hats in my life but I will never lose my passion for being a stylist.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.-Confucius"

No comments:

Post a Comment