Monday, March 11, 2013

Give a little.

You have the friend that would do anything in the world for you without expecting anything in return and you're also blessed with one who's always looking out for only themselves and  how they can benefit from a situation.  I've always been one to give and have learned over the years not to expect anything in return from anyone when I do, this way I am rarely disappointed.

As our lives evolve we often go separate ways from friends that we were once closer to, it's not as easy to drop everything and share all of our friends special moments or support them during hard times.  Great friends will always be there for you when they can and at least attempt to be when they can't.  There will always be a time when you're not available to a friend when they need you, but make sure that your presence is known.  If you often get so self involved that you're always forgetting about the people close to you, the moment when you need someone, don't be surprised if you turn around to an empty room.

Giving is much more gratifying than taking.  I love buying a special present for someone and watching them open it up.  I get so excited to watch their eyes light up like those of a child who just found out that they're going on a surprise trip to Disney World that morning.  One day when I have kids of my own I'm totally pulling that one on them!

I recall a night years ago, a few friends and I were at the diner drinking coffee and chit-chatting for hours like usual.  We got on the topic of winning the "Mega Millions" and went around the table asking what everyone would do with the money.  The first thing I could come up with was to go around to all of the places I frequent, hand a big fat check to someone who's always pleasant, helpful or just puts a smile on my face and watch them jump around uncontrollably in sheer joy and excitement!  I love designer  goods, planes, vacations, cars and houses just as much as anyone else, but the thought of doing that a handful of times, would be more fulfilling than all the Louis Vuitton bags in the world.  To know that I just made someones day, lifted any type of money worries off their chest, gave them more time to relax and be with their families and to experience a lifestyle that they never thought possible, is  definitely up there with the blissful feeling I hear you get on your wedding day or when your child is born.

Giving doesn't always have to be to someone else, sometimes it's your turn to be on the receiving end of your own generosity.  Whether it be a compliment, nice meal, mani- pedi, long gym session or new watch, its always nice to show yourself some love too.  When you only give to others, you risk burnout, taking care of yourself is essential if you want to correctly tend to anyone else.

Benevolence doesn't always have to do with money.  A small gesture or word said from one person to the next can change the tone of that individuals whole day.  When one person is helpful to another a chain reaction has the chance to begin.  I viewed the most beautiful video the other day and it melted my heart.  Be always gracious, 'cause love makes the world go 'round. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment